Today's post includes the weekly writing prompt and the final ROW80 Round 3 check-in.
This week's writing prompt is based on one I gave to a coaching client and could work equally well for writers of poetry, fiction or creative non-fiction.
Choose an object to write about. It can be in your house, found by the side of the road, or an object you remember.
Freewrite about the object for a minimum of 5 minutes (but keep going as long as you can) - physical description, personal associations, the real or imagined history of the object, how you came by it/came across it. Think of the object as a character you're introducing, but also be open to letting your mind take you to unexpected places.
the sake of saving space and time, I'm going to refer to my goals by
their numbers rather than re-listing them every week, but you can see
the goals the numbers refer to in this post.
1. (a) - (c) Nothing new to report. (d) This week's prompt posted above.
2. I did more writing this week than I did last week. Yay! And I finished the second draft of "Zombie," which will be published in three parts over on TheDarkerHalf.com starting Oct. 1st. Excitement! I also finished a first draft of "The Choice," which has been sent to my beta reader for feedback. Hurrah!
3. No market research done. Submitted "Zombie" to TheDarkerHalf.com & it was accepted. On my to-do list for Friday this week is to submit poems to 1-2 markets.
4. Nothing new to report. (But seriously. If you haven't read the article on Hawthorne Books yet, do it now!)
5. N/A - goal abandoned.
This is a blog hop! Click here to read other ROW80 participants' check-ins.
Goals for ROW80 Round 4
We have a bit of a break before Round 4 starts on Oct. 7, 2013. Nevertheless, I like to think ahead, so here are my anticipated goals for the next round, in order of importance:
1. Finish first drafts of "The More Beautiful" (Sept.), "Split Infinity" (Oct.), "Conformity I" (Nov.), "Conformity II" (Dec.).
2. Edit "The Choice" (Sept.), "The More Beautiful" (Oct.), "Split Infinity" (Nov.), "Conformity I" (Dec.). [Note: Will edit "Conformity II" in 2014 Round 1.]
3. Continue Wednesday writing prompts. (Will continue this between rounds, too.)
4. Submit one story or 3-5 poems to one or more markets each week.
5. Go to the Rain or Shine readings on Thursday nights as often as possible.
6. Continue monthly interviews with writers on this blog.
7. Read & comment on three other ROW80 participants' check-ins each week.