The awakening narrative has at its core this story: protagonist (usually female) becomes aware, usually with help of one or more men, of innate spiritual/supernatural abilities that she had hitherto not suspected or had used in a sort of accidental way without understanding them fully. Over the course of the books (usually a trilogy) she learns more about her abilities and becomes one of the most powerful people around. Through the developmental of her talents, she becomes the key to some kind of huge change in her world, whether a shift in balance of good and evil or a complete paradigm shift or the revealing of hitherto obscured truths that change everyone's understanding of the world.
Examples of the awakening narrative:
- The Touchstone trilogy by Andrea K. Host
- The All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness
- The Farseer trilogy by Robyn Hobb (male protagonist)
- The Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones (currently at 7 books)
- The Hot Damned series by Robyn Peterman