This next round of ROW80 is going to be an interesting and challenging one for me. This month (July) I'm in Paris and working on a couple of editing jobs, next month I'm going to be in Vienna and taking an intensive German language course, and then in September I'll be back home again in Portland, Oregon. Based on what happened last month, it doesn't make sense for me to try to set goals or a writing schedule that span the entire round, so instead I'm going to take it month-by-month...and take into account this time that I need 2-3 days when switching locales prepare to leave, travel, and then settle in.
Round 3 Goals
July - Paris
- Get out & about for at least 2 hrs/day - explore, take photos, people-watch, etc.
- Improve my French. Beyond the simple interactions in cafes, restaurants and shops, I'm going to ask around to see if someone might be willing to do a language exchange - my English for their French - for an hour or two per week. Ooh! I can also read some George Sand in French. Yes!
- Finish first draft of pseudonym's WIP2. I still need to figure out how many hours I have left on this, but I think it's kind of a lot. Maybe 40? Which means I need to devote at least 10 hrs/wk to this. To be safe, I'll set my sights on 1 hr/day of working on the WIP on days I have editing work and 3 hrs/day when I don't.
- Two blog posts per week - 1 here, 1 on my travel blog.
- Send pseudonym's WIP2 to beta readers.
- Learn some German. I'll be in language class for 12 hrs/wk, and I expect there will be homework on top of that. Since I'm starting off with virtually no German, I'll be super happy if I learn enough to be able to navigate public transport, order food and ask where the toilets are. A few swear words would be good, too.
- Get out & about on weekends (Friday-Sunday) for at least a couple hours a day.
- Write at for a minimum of 1 hr/day. I might work on some poetry or creative nonfiction. I might just use the time to journal and jot down impressions of the place, people and language. Point is to keep in the habit of writing.
- Continue two blog posts per week.
- Revise pseudonym's WIP2 (Sept. 3-19) and send to copy editor. 2 hrs/day on this.
- Walk at least an hour a day with my puppy dog, Milton. (I miss him so much!)
- Three blog posts per week - 2 here, 1 on the travel blog (to document reverse culture shock).